Summer is around the corner and it will get pretty hot. We humans do not wear coats in the summer, and so the dogs will also feel hot and need to take their coats off. But that is not as easy for them as it is for us. We just rotate our clothing to find more suitable clothes for the hotter months.
What can we do to make our pets comfortable in the summer months?
- Many pet owners either shave their dogs, or cut their fur very short to allow the dog some comfort in this heat. My mom had a Scottish Terrier and he would get shaved in the summer, because he had long black fur.
- There are cooling mats that can be moistened
- Make sure their crates are in a cool place
- Limit the time they have to spend outdoors
- Do not leave them tied to the leash where they cannot find a cool shade
- Make sure they always have water to drink, they need more water than in the cooler months
- Keep them indoors with the air conditioner running
- Allow them to get a swim if possible
- Give them more frequent baths in the summer
Dogs get very hot in the summer. Many domestic animals have gotten adjusted to the heat in the winter and the air conditioning in the summer indoors, that if they had to stay out in the heat during the summer, they will not be able to handle it well. Dogs love to swim and that will help keep them cool. Children playing in the water, may help cool the dog by letting them in on the fun by spraying them with the hose too.
There are even summer beach clothes for dogs. There are shorts for the boy dogs, and bikinis for the girl dogs. I guess if you are by the ocean and want them to dress like you do, that would seem alright. In reality, dogs may prefer to just get a dip in the summer without much fur or clothes. The important thing is to take care of our pets just like we would take care of our children. Dogs are not able to ask for their needs, so it is up to the pet owners to anticipate their needs and meet them.